Thursday, June 16, 2011

How To Photograph Your Own Kids.

Sounds simple enough. They are my kids, they will do what I say right. Well every parent know just how wrong that is. Oh, how wrong. It's a rare child who will do what the parent asks without a fight. They just have such a mind of their own. Especially when the get to be 4 years old and older. Forget about it.

So what are we to do? There are many different things you can do I suppose but here is my approach. I just let them do what they are going to do. They are happier, I'm less stressed out and usually I get photos that are much better than I had planned on.

Now, that said, I'm pretty lucky. My kids have had a camera in their faces since the day they were born. They are used to me and my cameras. My daughter is destined to be a model I'm sure. She loves to pose. But, if they are not in the mood for my antics they will not cooperate at all.

Here's some of the attitude I get.....

338.365 Barely A SmileWont even look at me. Barely a smile.


291.365 Are You Gone Yet?The 'are you gone yet' look. Although it was cute. Still it took 5 minutes for her to look my way.


Now, once I decided to stop directing them my photos of them got better. No forced smiles, no stiff posture, just a much more relaxed look and feel to them.


57.365 Out In The YardAll I said to him here was 'Hey look at me' then he turned to me and gave me such a nice natural smile.


Here Come The Freckles.For this one we were outside doing homework with my son. He was reading to us. I had my camera up and she just looked at me with such a happy smile. Snap, there it is.


Quite often, I just follow them around when they are playing. I get some great candid stuff when they are just being themselves. I much prefer to see photos of kids as they are. Not sitting at Sears or Walmart. Those are not my kids, those are the ones who are mad at us and have decided not to cooperate. Here are some following around candid shots...


156.365 Assembly
Setting up his Hotwheels track not paying any attention to me at all.


04222011 _MG_1586 50D
On the swing. Saw me at the last second.


Desert Mountians
Climbing a boulder in the desert mountains of southern California. I was waiting for him when he looked up to see where I was.



That's my approach to taking photos of my kids. Simple. Just be where they are and keep the camera up and ready to go all the time! But keep in mind, sometimes it's nice to just sit and be with your kids. If you are addicted to photography as I am this will be tough.


Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment