Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Canon 24-105mm f/4 - My Thoughts.

I rented the Canon 24-105mm this past weekend for 3 days. I was wanting to compare it with my Tamron 18-270mm on my 50D. I took about 1000 photos with it and gave it a good run under many different shooting conditions. I was mostly interested in the sharpness of the lens. But I checked other aspects of it as well.

The first thing I noticed is the build quality. This is a nice solid lens. It just feels good in your hands. When I put it on the camera I could feel the weather seal at the base of the lens seal the gap tight. That's a plus. Once I started shooting with it I was very impressed at the speed of the focusing. Really quick. The colors are more saturated as well which is probably a result of superior lens coatings. The sharpness was great too. Everything that I wanted in focus was nicely in focus and sharp. The constant f/4 throughout the zoom range was nice to have as well.

But, how does it compare to my Tamron 18-270 that is half the price? Keep in mind here I was looking for a significant difference in the overall sharpness of the two lenses. I could find no significant difference. Especially with the extra $800.00 it would cost me for the 24-105mm and I would be loosing 165mm of zoom!

Here are the test shots I took. The Canon 24-105 on the left and the Tamron 18-270 on the right.

Canon 24-105 vs Tamron 18-270

Both shots are with the exact same settings and using my tripod. All I did was change the lens. Sure, there are a few differences. Mostly color temperature and saturation but nothing that I cannot fix in post if I have to. I'll keep my Tamron until such time that I get that 5D.

Here are some of my favorites using the lens.

234.365 On The Train.

Red Tailed Hawk

The Boy.

After Dinner Drink.

I do really like that lens though and it will make my decision much easier when it comes to a new camera and lenses.

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment