Thursday, September 8, 2011

Should I Start A Photography Business?

I've been thinking about whether or not I should try to make a go of a photography business. I love photography, it consumes me. Everything I look at I wonder how could I light that. Or, what a great photograph that would make. My family will tell you I'm obsessed. I call it passionate. But, It is a bit of an obsession for me.

Starting up a business used to seem like the thing to do. I took the New York Institute Of Photography's professional photography course so I could learn. And, learn I did! I like to think I'm a pretty good photographer. Not an amazing photographer but I can hold my own. But once you make that decision to start a business it becomes just that, a business. I would end up being a business owner. Worried about income, taxes, expenses, etc. With all the worries of running a business, would I have time for my passion? How much more pressure would there be to create impressive images every time, every session? Would it take the fun out of my passion? How much more of my time would all the administrative portion take up?

Right now, I take photos of what I want, when I want. I get to just enjoy the art. Lately, I've become so consumed with the question that I think my images have suffered because I'm trying too hard to make every image a winner. I've even been getting down on myself and my skills. Sure, that is a typical trait of an artist, nothing is ever good enough for us and our own work is terrible, but it's been getting worse over the last 3 or 4 months. Why, at this point in my life, with my kids still young and my job filling my days, would I want to spend all my free time running a business and possibly taking the joy out of it?

I think, at least for the next 10 to 12 years, I should just focus on the art and the joy it brings me. I can document my kids lives, do personal projects and just love the art. Who knows, maybe one of those projects could lead to something. Maybe sales of the images or even a book. Maybe that's what I'll do. Just enjoy the art and the peace it brings me. No more getting down on myself for a less than perfect image. I'll focus more on how good the good ones are and be happy with any keeper ratio I have.

Thanks for reading my internal struggle. It's not over yet but I think I have more of a direction.

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment