Thursday, June 21, 2012

More Great Results From the Kit Lens

I spent the better part of the weekend and early this week with my 18-55 kit lens on my 50D. I just wanted to make sure that my new found excitement over this old cheap lens was not due to my having GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). :)

I've been thinking about getting the Canon 24-70mm f/4 L series lens for a while now and I plan to in the not too distant future. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not disappointed in my Tamron 18-270mm because of it.

So, I took many, many photos with my cheap kit lens to make sure. What I did notice is that the white balance is off a bit on the Tamron, which I was already aware of. Not a big deal as I shoot raw and usually tweak things a bit anyway. The 18-55mm has a better bokeh for sure but I think that is due to the closer minimum focusing distance. It allows you to get much closer to the subject which makes the background seem that much farther from the subject than the camera. But that's about it for the obvious difference in the two lenses. The 18-55 is much shorter and lighter than my Tamron 18-270 so that may account for some sharper images if I'm holding more still.

Anyway, I took some great photos over the weekend with it.

Out For A Walk...

Almond Flax Muffins

I'm quite happy with the lens and will continue to use it on a regular basis. However, that being said my Tamron 18-270mm will still be my go to lens. The zoom range make it a perfect walk around lens though it is a bit slow being a f/3.5-6.3. The ISO capabilities of the 50D and the fantastic noise reduction in lightroom will help me to get great shots most of the time. Shots such as this one.

Street Hockey!


Nothing wrong with that one at all!

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment