Tuesday, February 10, 2009

ISO 12,800 in near darkness.

I got stuck behind a train this morning on the way to work. It was so dark the only part of this train car I could see was the yellow reflective stripes. The sky was a deep purple. Almost black. I decided to test my high iso trick of setting an exposure compensation of +2ev then bringing it back down in post to try to eliminate most of the noise.

ISO 12800 in almost complete darkness.



This is the after post image. It's noisy but it's much better than before I processed it. The light and shadows are cast by street lights only. I managed this shot hand held at f/8 for 1/4 second. Love that image stabilization!

For sure I would not be taking shots in this manner normally and this is a pretty extreme example. I would much rather get my tripod and use ISO 100. This train was not moving so shutter speed was not an issue.

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment