Monday, November 30, 2009

Google Maps, Geotagging and Flickr Sets.

I recently watched a video podcast episode from The Digital Photography Connection about using Google Maps to geotag your photos. You can embed the google map link into the exif data of your photo and there you have it, instant geotag.

I thought, wow, what a great idea that is but I'm taking it a little further. I'm going to create some private maps and link from that map to the set of photos from that location on Flickr.

For example, here is a link to a location I shoot at all summer. Fork Lake, Alberta. The link brings up the google map I've created with a pin on it. Click on the pin and it opens up the data for that pin. In that data I've put a link to the set of photos for that location on Flickr. You can do multiple links to different sets so if you return there often you can see the changes throughout the sets.

In the future, I'll try to include the location for each photo in the exif and it will link back to the associated pin on the associated map. Round and round it goes.

For now, I'm using private maps but I may create public maps that will drive some people to my Flickr stream.

 



Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment