Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm Hooked On Off Camera Flash.

Yes, you heard it. I'm hooked. I think I will have light stands with umbrellas permanently set up in my house now. Just kidding but it's not far from the truth.

I was messing around with my Canon 430EX and my 46" umbrella last night and was amazed at how sharp my photos were. I was basically experimenting to see how much of the ambient light in our basement I could kill with the highest sync speed when I noticed how sharp the photos looked.

Look Dad, I Made A Mess....


This photo is with my 50mm f/1.8 at f/2.8, 1/200 sec and ISO 100. This photo above is the worst of the bunch and is still one of my better photos. I was blown away at how sharp it was. Never mind killing the room light anymore (which I had done, all the light here was from the umbrella). I now wanted to look into this sharpness thing. I know what the deal is here. Lots of good quality light and a nice fast shutter speed. But wow, I love it.


IMG_5303 50D 01052010


This one too, at f/2.8 is so sharp. I had enough depth of field to keep her face in focus yet throw her feet and the playhouse in front of her out of focus.


IMG_5324 50D 01052010


This one of me, done hand held with my arm stretched way out, it nice and sharp too. Using my Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6-6.3 at 35mm, f/4 for 1/250 sec I got a great shot. This is not the sharpest lens out there, it's my all purpose walk around lens, but I am very happy with the result.


I think there will be a lot of  artificially lit photos in my stream from now on.


Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment