Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Flickr Photographer Interview - Pete Holmes

Well, it's been quite a while since I've done an interview. Life sure has a way of getting in the way. :) That being said, I still have lots of photographers on Flickr whose work I enjoy and follow.

I met Pete Holmes in a group called Photo Dads. We both take a lot of photos of our kids and whatever else crosses the path of the lens. His photos have a sense of fun and excitement to them that really catches my eye. Here is my interview with Pete. Enjoy.
1 ) How long have you been interested in photography?
Off and on, for as long as I can remember.

2 ) What got you started in photography?
I think my Dad got me one of those 110-cartridge cameras when I was about 5 or 6 years old.

3 ) Do you have any photographers who's work you admire?
Annie Liebowitz, Martin Parr, Dave Gorman.

4 ) What inspires you to make photographs?
My kids, documenting family life and capturing moments.

5 ) Do you have a specific style that you like to shoot, such as portraits, fine art, photojournalism?
Definitely people, and preferably reportage/candid. Although I still work Monday to Friday as a Graphic Designer, a couple of years ago I set up my own secondary business photographing weddings and doing children and family photoshoots. www.phocus-images.co.uk

6 ) What is your favorite photographic subject?
Probably my own kids.

7 ) What gear do you shoot with?

I currently use a Canon Eos 30D.

8 ) What is your favorite lens?
I only have two! My favourite probably being the 75-300mm zoom which is great for capturing candid portraits from distance of wedding guests.

9 ) Do you shoot in Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority Or Manual?
A mixture... Shutter priority in low light conditions, Manual for night shots and when I have time to set up shots. I also, dare I say it, use Automatic modes when taking a lot of outdoor shots at a wedding or photoshoot.

10 ) Where do you see your photography in 10 years?
It's already progressed beyond a hobby, and the business is doing well doing a select number of weddings a year. Possibly giving up the day job and going full-time in the future? I've also just started getting a few images accepted into the Getty Flickr Collection, so shooting specifically for stock photography needs is also an option.

11 ) Do you have a tip for our readers?
Personally I'm not massively into getting technically-perfect shots. Capturing a specific moment in time (a smile, a glance, a grimace) is more important to me. So I suppose my general tip would be to not get bogged down by technical stuff, get out there, shoot what interests you, and have fun doing it.

12 ) Do you have a favorite photo of yours that you would like to share with us?
I'll always love this one...

SJF_0253



That's one of my favorites in Pete's stream as well. Great capture. Such a fun moment. That's one to stop a mother's heart too!



I hope you all enjoyed learning a bit more about Pete Holmes and encourage you to visit his photo stream and his web site. Great looking site Pete and the photos are outstanding.



Thanks again Pete for sharing your insight into your photographic life.



Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment