Monday, February 3, 2014

I'm Blocked.....

I've been fighting with a case of photographers block for months now. It just feels like I'll never get past it. Nothing seems to excite me photographically these days.

Now, I realize this is normal. I've not fallen out of love with my camera. I still have that passion for photography that I've had for years but I'm just not feeling it these days. What can I do to get past this? Do I need to take a trip? No. I don't think that will do it. Do I need a new camera? Definitely not! A new lens? No. I doubt that will make a difference either. What to do, what to do?

The fact that I'm aware of it just being a creative block is the main part. I realize I still love photography. I'm not going to sell all my gear and take up another hobby that's for sure. I just need to ride it out but not become inactive within my hobby. Maybe I'll start looking at more photography or find a photographer whose work inspires me. Maybe I just need a change of scenery. Being stuck at the same place all day and then having the dark cold winter nights everyday is not helping that's for sure.

I think for now, I'll start by looking at more photographs on Flickr and 500px. They always get me motivated. Maybe get involved in a few group discussions about the photos or specific techniques. Whenever I start talking about photography, I get all excited and my passion bubbles to the surface.

That's it. A good place to start.

I did manage to dig out my lighting kit and do a one light portrait of my son. He likes to play on the PS3 on the weekend and I thought I'd capture the moment for him to look back on later in his life. He may get a kick out of it.


I set the umbrella up on camera left and collapsed the umbrella down over the flash to narrow the light a bit so I wasn't lighting up the whole room. I set up a silver reflector on camera right low and bouncing light upwards to fill in the shadows on his left side. None of the angles I was trying was doing it justice so I went high on a chair for a change. I like the resulting point of view. 

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment