Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Budding Photographer Interview - Let's start with me. Chris Lemmen.

I've been getting some greif from the 10 people who follow my blog. I guess my content is very ho-hum ( my words ). I thought I'd shake it up a bit with some interviews of some of the budding photographers that I know. Just 10 simple questions. Kind of a get to know session.

Let's start with me.

Chris Lemmen - PILPhoto on flickr.

1 ) How long have you been interested in photography?

All my life really.  But only seriously in the last 5 years. The last 2 have been very intense. That's when I got my first DSLR. 2 years ago.

2 ) What got you started in photography?


My dad had a very slr nice set up when I was a kid and I was always fascinated by how our moments and memories could be captured and we could look back on them. We would have slide shows when people would come to visit and it was always a good time. In the 80's my dad bought a fully automatic Minolta system and gave me his old one. I still have that camera.

3 ) Do you have any photographers who's work you admire the most?

That's a tough question. Art Wolf, Rick SammonScott Kelby Just to name a few. There are so many. I have lots of flickr friends that I admire as well.

4 ) What inspires you to make photographs?

Everything. I very much live a photographic life. I take my camera everywhere. I see photo opportunities in everything. But if I had to pick just one thing it would be my kids. I feel compelled to document their lives in the best possible quality I can. That drives me to improve my photography everyday.



5 ) Do you have a specific style that you like to shoot? Such as portraits, fine art, photojournalism etc.

I'm still so new to this that I'm still not sure what style I like best. I love doing portraits, especially kids. They are so pure in their expression. I think I will specialize in not specializing but will more than likely do mostly family portraits. It's very rewarding to see the smiles on their faces when they see the images we have created together.

6 ) What is your favorite photographic subject?

Light. How's that for a broad subject. Haha. But seriously my kids. Especially my son. He loves having his photo taken and is quite a photographer himself for a four year old. Haha. I hope he will share my addictive hobby. Both my kids are very photogenic but my daughter is only 2 and moves very quickly still. I have trouble getting her to sit still long enough.

7 ) What gear do you shoot with?

Right now I have a Canon 50D with a Rebel XTI as a back up. I have a Canon 17-85mm, Canon 55-250mm and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 that is amazing. I also have a Canon 430ex flash.

8 ) What is your favorite lens?

My favorite right now would be the 50mm f/1.8 that I just don't get to use as much as I'd like. I love the control over the depth of field and after being in Canon's line up for so long it really has been perfected. It's a great lens.

9 ) Do you shoot in Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or Manual?

Mostly aperture priority. I like to be in control of the depth of field. I'd say 99% of my photos are there.

10 ) Where do you see your photography in 10 years?

I'd really like to have a family and pet environmental portrait business going strongly. I have plans to start it in 2010.

11 ) Do you have a tip for our readers?

Watch your back ground! This is one that I constantly struggle with myself. Be aware of what is going on in the back ground. Trees growing out of someones head look bad. Lines coming out of peoples heads look bad. A shallow depth of field will help to simplify an overly busy back ground.

12 )Do you have a favorite photo of yours that you would like to share with us?

My favorite today would be one that I took of my son while we were taking a break from a quad trail ride that we were on together. I was taking some photos of the forest and asked him to sit down on a fallen tree and pose for me. This is the result.

215/365 2009. Attitude.


This one though is a very, very close second. Mostly for the emotion.


229/365 2009. Backyard Princess.



This concludes the first of my interviews. Even though it was me I hope I have given you some insight into me and my photography.


Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment