Wednesday, May 19, 2010

City Sneaks Pollution Under Our Noses - But I Saw It.

I work down what is probably the last gravel road in Edmonton. The city wants an obscene amount of money from the business in the area to rebuild and pave this road so it is not going to happen. Instead they will spend thousands of dollars a month maintaining the road.

Last week the city decided it was a good idea to start putting down recycled crushed asphalt as an alternative to gravel. Now, I work in the oil industry and we are very aware of the needs to watch our pollution injection, for a lack of a better term, into the environment but the city does not see it this way. Asphalt is mostly oil, when it gets hot and rained on the oil washes away from the crushed up stuff. Where does it go? I think these photos speak for themselves.

And here I am trying to convince the company I work for of the need to haul away some contaminated water we have collected so it can be properly treated. Maybe I should just pour it on the road like the city? I wouldn't do that so why should they?

City Pollution 5


City Pollution 4


City Pollution 3


City Pollution 2


City Pollution 1


Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment