Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cacti and Rock

I definitely need to go back to the deserts of Arizona and capture some more images like these. On our next trip down there I'm planning a whole day in the Kofa National Wildlife Reserve. I could easily have spent an entire day here.

Our next trip down won't be for several years now I think so the kids will be older and will be able to handle a day with Dad in the desert....or not. LOL.

Cactus

I had to drive out to the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge while we were so close. I was hoping to see some wildlife and get some great landscape photos. We saw one small snake and were warned off by a rattle snake but other than that all I got were some great landscape photos. I forgot my tripod back at the park, still kicking myself over that one, but still managed some pretty nice photos.

This is the point at which I decided to return to the rental van. I had lost the trail and didn't want to get too far from the van and have to cut right across country to get back to it.

Up The Mountain.

As we were making our way back to the van, I spotted a line of cacti growing up and along this ridge line. I really liked how they formed an arc in the image. There are more further up the mountain but they would not fit into the composition.

Pokey!


This small cactus was just loaded with spines! I can't even imagine falling onto that one. Oh, just after this image, we were warned by a rattle snake. Startled us but it was a few yards to our south and only rattled at us twice then left us alone. I couldn't see it and decided not to search for it even though I really wanted that photo!

Standing Guard

This was the largest cactus in the area. It was just standing out by itself keeping watch on the area like a silent guard.

Desert Classic.

You can't visit the desert mountains without looking for this classic desert scene! I had timed our trip so we would be leaving around sunset and I knew the setting sun would shine some fantastic light on the area. All I needed to do was pick my spot and wait for the light. I saw this scene on our way into the area and made note of it for the drive out.

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment