Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Is It Good Enough?

I always seem to worry about what people think about my photos. Are they good enough, will they like it? I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't matter and I just don't care. Photography is an art and I know I've said this before but it's just so subjective. There are so many opinions on what is art that you just cannot please everyone.

So, please yourself. If you are happy with it then it's good enough. Stop trying to measure up to anyone. Sure, try to make the best photo you can using the techniques you have learned but realize there is a point where it's good enough.

Take this photo of my daughter for example.



I love this photo. It makes me smile and melts my heart. I like how I've placed here off to the side. I like how I've used a wide open aperture to blur out the background. I don't even care that the eye closest to the camera is slightly out of focus. The other one is tack sharp. I'm not going to bore you with what lens I used or what my settings were, it just doesn't matter. What matters is the feeling, the emotion in this photo. Such a warm genuine smile and love that touches her eyes. I'm not even worried about how many people like this. I like it. 

To me this shows great growth in me as an artist. You will never please everyone. Sometimes you won't please anyone. I aim to first and foremost make sure I like the photo. I have so many photos that I thought everyone would just love and you know what, they didn't. Not even close. Some even went so far as to tell me the photo was not taken properly. Funny how we all have our own ideas.

So, you just go out take photos and practice, practice, practice.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment