Thursday, September 3, 2009

Budding Photographer Interview - Bruce A Tracy.

After strolling through the photos on Bruce's Flickr stream, I'm awestruck by the amazing nature photographs he takes. From mountain tops to lake shores, I feel like I am there experiencing the beauty with him as he takes the photo.

Photographer name: Bruce A. Tracy - Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/batracy/ Website: http://www.bruceatracy.com

1 ) How long have you been interested in photography?

Pretty much as long as I can remember; one of my early childhood memories is
of thumbing through the pages of the picture books because I really liked
looking at the pictures. This irritated my dad because he thought I would
never learn to read if all I ever did was look at the pictures! It's only
been recently that I really started to pursue photography and found that I
like it even more than looking at the pretty pictures!

2 ) What got you started in photography?

My wife! About three years or so ago, she said to me "you need a hobby". So
I responded by saying I thought I would like to do photography, and she said
go for it.  I think there are times when she has regretted saying that to
me. Like those times when I try to get her in front of the camera, or when I
want to visit the local camera store. I've invested a lot of money in books,
training, and equipment over these last few years and I think what she
really regrets is not fully understanding just how expensive this hobby can
be!

3 ) Do you have any photographers who's work you admire?

Ansel Adams, Don Gale, Rick Sammon, Scott Kelby (for his post processing
skills), and lots of others. I spend a lot of time analyzing their work and
learning from them. In fact, I have found that one of the best ways for me
to learn is to analyze or critique the work of others. Now if only I were
good enough to have others admire and be inspired by my work - to me, that
would define success as a photographer.

4 ) What inspires you to make photographs?

A feeling or connection to the scene or subject; I have to see it in my mind
before I can frame it and press the shutter. I just don't go out and fire
away. I have tried to just go out and shoot, but almost every time I do, it
turns out to be a miserable failure. So many of my shots are thought out and
planned well in advance, and yes some of these don't turn out at all, but
more often than not they do. I say many because there are times when I will
just go out unplanned and walk around looking at anything and everything to
see if anything connects. Some times I get lucky.

As for inspiration, I draw inspiration from all the images I look at and
enjoy. I find inspiration in the work of those photographers that I admire
(which includes many of my fellow photographers on flickr, and classmates in
NYIP). I also find inspiration in nature - and wow - what an unending supply
of inspiration we can get from Mother Nature! I also find inspiration in
feelings, family, weather, basically anything that I can connect with and
that has meaning to me personally - that I can photograph.

5 ) Do you have a specific style that you like to shoot? Such as portraits,
fine art, photojournalism etc.


As for style - hmm - I'll let you know when I figure it out! Everyone has a
specific style when they shoot. As for specific subjects that I like to
shoot - mostly landscapes although I don't know why. I'm not a morning
person. They say the best time is dawn and dusk and I don't get up early and
am usually too tired in the evening. Oh well, change is good, change is
inevitable. As Rick Sammon says "you can sleep when you're dead!" I also
like to do portraits and will some times shoot architecture. Haven't really
tried anything else and this is where the NYIP course is helping me most -
it's getting me out of the comfort zone to experience new things.

6 ) What is your favorite photographic subject?

Landscapes, nature - not wildlife as I don't have the patience to wait them
out, but I do love the beauty and peace to be found in nature. Plus it gets
me out of the house! ;-)

7 ) What gear do you shoot with?

I'm a Nikon person. Years ago I used to own a Canon, but my ex got it in the
divorce and ever since then the Canon just doesn't feel right. It's mostly a
psychological thing and has nothing to do with the actual equipment as both
Canon and Nikon are excellent cameras. Anyway here's what I currently have:

Nikon D700 (I started with a D50, then a D200, and now the D700)
Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8 - 4 Di AF
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di AF
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di AF
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5 - 6.3 Di VC AF
Tamron 200-500mm f/5 - 6.3 Di AF
SB-800 Flash
MB-10 Battery pack
2x Teleconverter
Extension Tubes
Variety of filters and polarizer's
Studio lighting (2 600W strobes w/modeling lights) softboxes, etc...

Yes, I like the Tamron lenses. I feel the quality is every bit as good as
all but the highest end Nikkor's and the price is far less.

8 ) What is your favorite lens?

All of them! Although I do find the 28-75 is on the camera more often than
any of the others. Maybe this is because the 28-300 VC lens is currently in
for repair (a minor focusing issue).

9 ) Do you shoot in Apeture Priority, Shutter Priority or Manual?

I mostly shoot in manual mode, although recently I have been experimenting
with aperture priority when doing landscape shots. I'm finding it useful for
some shots and problematic for others. I do like to have control over what
I'm doing, so manual mode just seems to fit my style. Style? Did I say that?
Hmm, ... maybe I do have a style ;-)

10 ) Where do you see your photography in 10 years?

Hmm, 10 years? Well in 15 years I hope to retire and do photography full
time. So I guess in 10 years I would like to be selling a lot of prints,
seeing my photography in books and magazines, and well, ... I guess the
bottom line is I would like to be significantly better at it than I am now.
This will only happen if I follow my own advice...

11 ) Do you have a tip for our readers?

Study the work of those you admire. Figure out what it is that you admire
about their work and why you enjoy it - then set your goal to be better and
work every day to improve yourself. Lofty I know, but if you don't aim for
the stars you'll never succeed. You always need to be improving yourself -
so aim high and work at it.

12 )Do you have a favorite photo of yours that you would like to share with
us?


I really like the peaceful feeling I get from this image,
and like the way it draws you into the image. This was taken on my birthday
last year in Rocky Mountain National Park. It is absolutely stunning when
the Aspens are changing.

20080924-2-22



Thank you very much Bruce. Very inspiring. I reccomend that everyone have a look at Bruce's Flickr stream and website. Really good work.



Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment