Thursday, September 17, 2009

Budding Photographer Interview – Mary Phelps.

I've been following Mary's Flickr stream for quite some time now. I find her photos to be fun and full of emotion. Her photos always make me think 'wow that was fun'. I'm also blown away by her turtle photos and monument photos. Have a look at her stream and you will see what I mean.

Photographer name: Mary Phelps aka - Mary (StarMagic).

1 )  How long have you been interested in photography?

I started with photography about 5 years ago.

2 ) What got you started in photography?

Video - I had been interested in video for a while and had finally gotten a nice video camera. I started trying to make a decent video. I wasn’t really happy with the results I was getting. Somehow I got the idea that if I learned photography, I would make better videos. So I started trying out a couple of my photography ideas with my husband’s Sony Cybershot Pro. I was talking about this with a couple of friends at work and the boss overheard me and said - “we need someone to take pictures for a while ‘till we hire a new guy and since you like taking pictures....I’m sure you won’t mind.” I tried to tell him I did video, but he said - oh you can do it. They handed me this really nice Canon camera (I think it was a 20D) with a couple of different lenses and sent me off to take some pictures. I have to admit that I took some really poor shots at first. My friends encouraged me and would do critique sessions to help me learn. The office eventually hired the new photographer, but I really had the bug by then. Next, my buddies kept telling me I was taking some pretty good shots with that Cybershot, but I needed to get a “real camera”. Eventually, I decided to get the Canon Rebel XTi. A little over two years ago one of them mentioned he was signing up for the New York Institute of Photography (NYIP) and I joined with him. Now I am totally hooked!

3 ) Do you have any photographers who's work you admire?

Absolutely - Even before I learned anything about photography, I knew Ansel Adams and his work. I always loved his stuff. Today, I admire those two guys who encouraged me to work on my photography - Craig Thoburn ( www.craigthoburn.com and on flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/craigthoburn ) and Doug Miller  ( www.fdphotovideo.com flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/fdphotovideo )

4 ) What inspires you to make photographs?

I never considered myself to have any artistic qualities, my drawings look like something a 2 year old would do - but I have discovered an outlet that allows me to express myself artistically through photography.

5 ) Do you have a specific style that you like to shoot? Such as portraits, fine art, photojournalism etc.

Right now I enjoy fine art shots, but this seems to change a lot as I learn more about each type of photography.

6 ) What is your favorite photographic subject?

I really like taking historic shots of people in period costumes and, of course, my grandkids.

7 ) What gear do you shoot with?

My kit contains:
Canon Rebel XTi
Canon 70-300
Canon 17-40
Canon 100MM Macro
Canon 100-400 
Canon 50mm
Canon 580 Speedlite
Monopod
Tripod
a reflectors
2 strobes

8 ) What is your favorite lens?

I love the 70-300 for it’s versatility and the great bokeh I get from it

9 ) Do you shoot in Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or Manual?

I have finally started to move from the "p" mode and I am just learning to use manual mode, although my most frequent choice would be Aperture Priority.

10 ) Where do you see your photography in 10 years?

I would like to have my own small studio with an occasional gallery show.

11 ) Do you have a tip for our readers?

Whatever you shoot - enjoy it

12 ) Do you have a favorite photo of yours that you would like to share with us?

Wow - I have so many “favorites”, but here is the choice for today is Buffalo Soldier

Buffalo Soldier @Mary Phelps, StarMagicStudios



Ya, I like that one too. Thank you very much Mary. Great stuff here. I recommend everyone check out Mary's photos and see how fun they are.



Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment