Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Touching Post From Bill Wadman.

I'm subscribed to Bill Wadman's blog. For those who of you who may or may not know, Bill Wadman is the photographer who did the orginal 365 portrait project. A portrait a day for a year. I recommend you have a look at the site. Some great portraits that will inspire and humble you at the same time.

Today he has a post about the 4 year anniversary of his father's death. It moved me, choked me up and made it hard for me to concentrate for quite a while (Bill misses his Dad greatly, I could tell that from the feel of the post. It pained me to think about how I will miss my parents when they pass on). He talks about how he spent time after his father's death looking closely at his life and how he wanted it to mean something in the end. He talks about how when his father was alive he was hard to please and how even now, 4 years later, he is still trying to impress his father. Now though, he thinks he is trying to impress himself more than his father and realizes that this is a double edged sword that drives him to be constantly improve his work but he is never really satisfied with it.

I wonder.

How many of us are doing this very same thing?

Constantly being discouraged with our work and trying so hard to impress someone even if it is just ourselves.

I know I do it. I'm never really happy with most of my photos and I try to get better everytime I make a photo. I know that everyone has bad photos even if they don't show them to you. I'd sure like to see some of the rejects from the pros. I bet they would give me some hope.

One thing I do know, I will get better, my photos will improve and they will include so many family photos that we will never forget the people, places and events that mean so much to us.

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment