Thursday, October 8, 2009

Budding Photographer Interview - Corey Teeple

I've known Corey for a while now and I'm always impressed with the quality of his work. He has a vision that I envy. He can see the end result before he takes the photo and sticks to that vision no matter what. I admire that conviction.

Photographer name: Corey Teeple (digitaldad07)

1 ) How long have you been interested in photography?

Since 2004, 5 years. I took a vacation through the rockies with a point and shoot digital and went absolutely bananas.

2 ) What got you started in photography?

A long time passed since that vacation and I felt that I was stifling my creative urges. I was coming up to significant birthday and I asked my wife for a dslr so I could finally get serious about it.

3 ) Do you have any photographers who's work you admire? I tend to look at local people as inspiration. I really like the works of Carey Nash and Curtis Comeau.

4 ) What inspires you to make photographs?

I am not sure its narcissism or truth. I pay attention to details or angles that the world seems to pass by unnoticed.

5 ) Do you have a specific style that you like to shoot? Such as portraits, fine art, photojournalism etc.

It would seem I have a knack for lifestyle portraiture. Candid work. Definitely outdoor work.

6 ) What is your favorite photographic subject?

It’s a toss up, child photography or still life.

7 ) What gear do you shoot with?

I have a modest collection of gear. I use a Canon T1i, a Canon 18 – 55mm IS f/3.5-f/5.6 lens, a Canon 70-300mm IS USM f/4.0-5.6 telephoto, and finally a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II prime lens for low light and portraiture. I house all this is in a Tamrac notebook/camera backpack. Its probably 30 lbs loaded.

8 ) What is your favorite lens?

I have to say at this point the 50mm prime. I think there are more possibilities with the zoom lenses, but the prime really grabs the subject and has provided me a number of very high impact photos.

9 ) Do you shoot in Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or Manual?

I typically shoot Av mode. I will be migrating to full manual by spring.

10 ) Where do you see your photography in 10 years?

I see myself with an impressive portfolio with a continual improvement in my out-of-camera and post production skills. I hope to be photographing full time from Spring to late fall.

11 ) Do you have a tip for our readers?

If people comment that your zeal for your work borders on obsessive, your effort level is almost there.

12 )Do you have a favorite photo of yours that you would like to share with us?

I recently took a silhouette shot on the bank of the North Saskatchewan just after sunset. Every time I close my I eyes I see the clouds open to allow the remaining sunlight to backlight the cityscape.

Highlands backlit



Thank you very much Corey. Great stuff. So nice to see someone as obsessed, I mean focused ( no pun intended ) on photography. I recommend that everyone check out Corey's Flickr stream and check out his blog at CSquared Imaging.  Some really nice work there.



Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment