Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Eyeglasses. Should I wear them while shooting or editing or wear my contacts instead?

I recently started wearing my contacts again. Mostly because winter is coming and I hate having fogged up glasses. I haven't really worn them for 7 or 8 years now. A little bit here and there but not much. I don't recall wearing them while out photographing the word or editing photos.

I noticed something a little unexpected this weekend while wearing my contacts. Colors are more vibrant with my contacts than my glasses! Why? I need to know. This morning I sent an email to Nikon Optics, the makers of the lenses in my glasses to ask them if they had any thoughts on this. As of this writing they have not responded. 6 hours later but if they do, I will post their reply.

I have a feeling it is the anti glare coating on the lenses that is the culprit here. If you have ever scratched the coating, you will recall the difference in the look of the scratch compared to the rest of the lens.

I'm going to wear my contacts more now and hope that I'm seeing the world more true to life than the muted version through my glasses.

Any thoughts?

Chris

2 comments:

  1. I always wondered about this. I have been blessed with decent eyesight. I have glasses but rarely wear them. My Optometrist said that I don't really need to wear them unless I need to prevent eyestrain from too much reading.

    But, time ticks on and I wonder how long before I NEED to wear them. Before the photobug hit, I would have said glasses are a part of life. Now, if I needed glasses, I think I would opt for Lasik.

    Ever thought of losing the lenses Chris?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, eye surgery is on the list of things to get done for sure. But, for the price of the surgery, I could get some really good lenses. LOL.

    ReplyDelete