Friday, October 2, 2009

Work Flow.

Recently, I was asked by my friend Corey Teeple about my work flow and how deciding to convert to DNG would affect that work flow. I gave some hard thought to my work flow. Basically after the shoot it goes like this.

  • I import to Lightroom via a card reader. It's faster than connecting the camera to the computer. I used to import to a folder for each date but over the last couple of years I found that to be a nightmare for archiving. Lightroom has such great filtering tools that I just don't need to break them down that far. I import them into a general import folder then every month I back those up to dvds and move the photos to a yearly folder using Lightroom. I have a couple of presets that I use during import that give me a general starting point for my editing and add some basic data into the exif.

  • In the library module I now go through the shoot and select the photos that will get further consideration using a simple flagged/not flagged system. I add my keywords even to the ones I'm not flagging. Then I filter for just the flagged photos. Some photographers will delete the ones they did not flag to save room but I keep them. You never know when an out of focus photo will work well with a new creative filter in photoshop that has not come out yet. I keep them just in case. Besides, disc space is cheap these days.

  • Now I move on to the develop module for some basic editing. I check the white balance, exposure, sharpness, crop on all the photos just to make sure they are the way I like them or what the client likes. Then I'll dive into some curves adjustments, HSL adjustments, maybe some contrast or just some black level adjustment. I don't do a whole lot of post processing on the majority of my photos. I like the natural look to them having a film background and being at the mercy of the developers has caused that I think. But sometimes I just see the need for some work in photoshop and for that I use Photoshop Elements. It has the majority of the tools that I would ever need.

  • Now I will go through the flagged photos and give them a rating a 3 or a 5 depending on how much I like it. I usually only give the 5s to the client but I'll work on the 3s a little more and see if I can jump it up to a 5.

  • If the photo is noisy, I'll send it out to Noiseninja as a TIFF for some work there. Love that program by the way.

  • I've been playing with an evaluation copy of Imagenomic Portraiture. All I can say is WOW! Even I looked good after that program. LOL.

  • After bringing the TIFF back into Lightroom I'll either export it out as a high res JPG or upload it to Flickr. If I put them on Flickr for a client to review, I create a set just for them and make all the photos private. I send them a guest pass to the set for them to look at. I am looking at using possibly Smug Mug as a back end in the future.

  • Occasionaly I do some prints which I send to London Drugs of all places here in Edmonton. The store I use does a great job and they are very consistent. Pricing is great too.


That's pretty much how I roll. Deciding to convert to DNG allows me to have the development information embedded in the file so I won't loose it. Other than slowing the import a bit, I don't think it will affect my work flow at all.  I will sometimes try something new maybe do some black and white conversions but not much. I just love the vibrant color.

I would love to hear how others go about thier work flow. Leave me a comment and lets compare.

Follow me on Twitter.

Chris.

3 comments:

  1. Basically, the only difference between our workflows is how we organize our files on the disk. I will give a full date and description of the shoot to each import which are saved in a yearly folder. But then, that's the beauty of Lightroom - it lets you organize your files in a way that works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't mention that I rename my files on import with the Camera Model and the Date added to the end of the file name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you for detailing your work flow, its always interesting to hear other routines.

    I am in total agreement, trying to work with pictures imported by date is NON-PLUS.

    I also find it interesting that you don't throw away pictures that are slightly less than your standard. I do the same thing. I tuck them in my reclamation folder and I toy with them from time to time trying to improve upon their flaws.

    Smugmug does seem like a nice way to go commercial without a custom front/back back end. But, It would be much better if they had a lab in Canada! I hate to think the troubles that someone would have buying a print off smugmug and having it shipped here.

    I have Technicare doing my prints. I have found their quality to be exceptional.

    Once I "streamline" my workflow, I will make sure I detail it here. My flow seems to change, my wife is an efficiency expert, I wonder if I should get her to optimize it for me! ;)

    Corey

    ReplyDelete