Thursday, October 1, 2009

Budding Photographer Interview - Val K (Tacogal on Flickr)

When I look through the photos Val shares on Flickr, I see such vivid color and fun shots. I'd call her style photojournalistic in nature but that just scratches the surface. Her floral photos are stunning.

Photographer name: Val K aka Tacogal

1 ) How long have you been interested in photography?

Three years ago I got my first DSLR and was hooked. Prior to that I used a Pentax SLR starting back in the 70’s mostly slides. At that time we were living in Northern Manitoba and all our film was sent to Winnipeg for developing and that usually took 2 weeks. Wow how life has changed.

2 ) What got you started in photography?

As a child my family hardly ever took photos, so when I married and started my own family I vowed that there would be lots of photos. Of course living in Northern Manitoba for 5 yrs we took a lot of photos of nature as the country was just so beautiful. From those early days we have 1000’s of slides which we have begun to scan and transfer to cd’s.When we started our family the camera was always at hand. To this day I am always the person at every function that is busy clicking photos.

3 ) Do you have any photographers who's work you admire?

No one person in particular however since joining Flickr I certainly have enjoyed several members work especially in our FOTD group. I have read almost every Scott Kelby book and have learned so much about post processing from his books.

4 ) What inspires you to make photographs?

As the seasons change I find my inspiration also changes. Fortunately living on the west coast I can usually be outdoors comfortably in all four season. However I do find in the winter months my photography does move indoors more.

5 ) Do you have a specific style that you like to shoot? Such as portraits, fine art, photojournalism etc.

I am not sure that I have a specific style yet if I had to pick one it would probably be photojournalism.

6 ) What is your favorite photographic subject?

I love the outdoors and nature photography. My garden and flowers give me an endless source of photo opportunities which I really enjoy.

7 ) What gear do you shoot with?

Three years ago I was given my Canon Rebel XTi for Christmas. The two kit lens that came with the camera have been used very little as I purchased the Sigma DC 18-200 and primarily use that. My “Purse” camera that goes absolutely everywhere with me is the Canon G10 which I absolutely love!!

8 ) What is your favorite lens?

Sigma DC 18-200 and am dreaming of a macro lens!!

9 ) Do you shoot in Apeture Priority, Shutter Priority or Manual?

Primarily I shoot in Apeture however I am trying to become more comfortable with my Manual settings.

10 ) Where do you see your photography in 10 years?

I am a total hobbyist and have no aspiration to go pro. However I aspire to achieve more professional results to share with my friends and family. I would like to take some photography classes to further challenge my skills.

11 ) Do you have a tip for our readers?

Always have a camera with you, even it is a basic point and shoot. Take lots and lots of photos! Also read as much as you can about taking better photos. There is so much free information on the internet and all we have to do is read, listen and watch.

12 )Do you have a favorite photo of yours that you would like to share with us?

This photo of the marina in Sidney, BC from the deck of wonderful restaurant that we often dine at.

July27/09


Thank you very much Val for sharing your story with us. I encourage everyone to check out Val's photo stream. I'm sure you will find inspiration there.


Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment