Thursday, October 1, 2009

To Convert To DNG or Not To Convert To DNG - That Was The Question.

Note I said was the question. I've decided to make the jump into the DNG file format instead of sticking with my proprietory RAW files.

Why? Well smaller files for one. Embeded develope settings for another. No more sidecar files to lose! Also, Adobe has opened the DNG format up to the world so it will live on. I've been watching to see what would happen with the DNG format for quite a while now and I'm happy to see it be opened up to the world.

If it's good enough for Scott Bourne, it's good enough for me.

Chris.

6 comments:

  1. Could you explain how the conversion from raw to dng is going to affect your workflow. I would love to hear how you go from camera to workstation.

    Thanks!


    Corey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall do a post on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this conversion on import into lightroom. The only problem I have with the DNG format is that if I want to edit my photo in CS3, I have to save it to a PSD format before I can edit. It would be nice if CS3 could work with DNG files.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce, I find it very odd that CS3 will not accept the DNG files given how Adobe pushes the DNG file format. How about CS4 have you heard of any issues there? I wonder if I will have trouble with Elements? I've not tried that yet. Hmmmmm. I sense and experiment coming up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem with Adobe is that when they decide to push something, the do it in a new version. I really don't know about CS4 as my budget is depleted, but I suspect it does support receiving DNG files from Lightroom. CS3 will save to a DNG, but I have not found a way to pass a DNG from Lightroom into CS3. If you find a way, I would be most interested in hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to do some research on that for us Bruce. See what I can dig up.

    ReplyDelete