Thursday, October 29, 2009

Photo Of The Day - 302 of 365. New Lens & Lens Review - Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC

302/365 2009. New Lens!

I've purchased a new lens. The Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC. My main reason for purchasing this lens was convenience. I hate swapping lenses all the time when I'm just out and about. On my Canon 50D it gives me a range of 29mm to 432mm with the 1.6 crop factor taken into account. I didn't buy it with business in mind. I bought it with my family in mind. With this lens, I'll not need to carry all my lenses. Probably just the camera with this lens on it.

The first thing I noticed was the zoom direction is opposite my Canon zooms. You zoom clock wise on the Tamron. During the zoom it, for lack of a better term, sticks around the 100mm mark. I've read about this in forums and believe it is on purpose to keep the lens from creeping when you have it hanging down. There is a zoom lock switch at the 18mm mark that will hold the lens while you are wondering about with the lens hanging down as well. I like that feature.

My first photo scared me. The white balance looked terrible. Normally, I shoot on auto white balance to get close then adjust the raw file in post as I see fit. This was so bad but when I put my Canon 17-85 back on the camera to take the above shot, well it looked bad too! So that was that.

Playing around with the lens in the house last night I took the photo below.

IMG_2694 50D 10282009


Canon 50D, Tamron AF180270mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC, ISO 1600, f/5.6 for 1/25 sec.


This was taken under really bad tungsten lighting but looks pretty good. Sharpness is very acceptable. This was at 142mm.


I will be testing this lens over the next 3 or 4 days and will post more of my thoughts on the lens and some more sample photos then.


Chris.


No comments:

Post a Comment